Friday, June 7, 2013

26 Acts of Kindness: #7

Name: Bridget
State: Tennessee

"The kids and I were at Kroger earlier this week doing our grocery shopping. We turned onto the main aisle from the cereal aisle, and were making a beeline for the peanut butter when we happened behind this adorable older woman. You've seen the kind--dressed in layered clothing, a slightly disheveled, librarian-type look, hair pulled into a loose, gray bun atop her head, rosy cheeks and cherub nose supporting a pair of spectacles (surely she would call them spectacles). She reminded me of how I always pictured Mrs. Whatsit from A Wrinkle In Time. Walking slowly and pensively in front of us, pushing her cart and looking every which way, she suddenly did an about face, nearly crashing into our cart. Mrs. Whatsit looked at us, startled, tense, perhaps a little embarrassed, and started to walk away. I smiled and asked if she was alright; she sighed and replied with a flustered 'Yes,' while I continued to smile at her. She looked at me, then at the kids, then back to me and returned the smile, as her tension seemed to almost melt away. She then asked me if I knew where the pasta was, and I told her she'd find it at the far end of aisle #3, on the right. Mrs. Whatsit replied with a warm, bubbly 'Thank you, Honeys!' and was on her way."

Thank you for sharing, Bridget!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share comments, questions, insight, knowledge, and love. All is welcome here.