Friday, June 21, 2013

26 Acts of Kindness: #16

Name: Mom
Location: Georgia

"I attended our weekly support group meeting here. There was a gentleman there who was new to our group. His mother had a stroke and they had just arrived here the day before. His mother had a lot of work ahead of her on the road to an uncertain recovery. He clearly needed to vent and express some feelings that he himself said he couldn't to his family. Myself and the only other family member present consciously limited our time to allow him all he needed. We listened with caring hearts and supportive words. Toward the end of our meeting, I assured him that his mother was in good hands; that the staff and doctors here would take very good care of her. I shared that in the last 4 months you had made great strides here thanks to them and shared some of your milestones. He was visibly relieved to hear a first hand account and reassured that things would be okay. Before leaving I offered him a hug(something I don't usually do with people I don't really know) which he accepted and we warmly embraced. We chatted all the way back to our perspective rooms. Since that day we have waved, nodded, exchanged supportive words, inquired about progress, etc. Today as I closed the door to your room I looked and saw his mother walking. Our eyes met, he with a wide smile on his face and me with a big thumbs up back at him."

Thank you for sharing, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share comments, questions, insight, knowledge, and love. All is welcome here.