Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thankful Thursday

(Source: NichirenBuddhist, edited by RoseAlma)
Today I am thankful for three beautiful strangers

The first is named Joy. She is a sweet middle-aged woman with short, graying hair. Wearing glasses and earrings, she sparkles inside and out. You can tell from her eyes and her smile. Joy is part of the housekeeping staff at the University of Tennessee hospital in Knoxville. And she has been a beautiful visitor of mine for two days now. From the first moment I saw her, her positive energy and warmth was overflowing. Friendly and sweet, she shares tales about her three month old great-nephew. We only had two or three little conversations, she and I. But sweet Joy left a lasting impression on me. I am grateful for her happy, loving heart.

The second is named Rob. He is a middle-aged man with trim hair and a cap. He wears glasses, and an apron over his chest. The first time I met him, he was serious and stern. Working for the food service staff at UT hospital, he had come to take my food order for the coming day. He had difficulty accepting my vegetarian/ almost vegan diet at the start, and tried to refuse me certain foods. But after that rough introduction, each day he came back a bit sweeter. Now, without even asking, he often leaves extra treats on my tray: plate of fruit here, cup of cubed cheese there. His slow turn around surprised me. In person, he still holds up a rather serious demeanor. And he doesn't seem to care for conversation, perhaps too busy or too shy. But I sense a quiet sweetness in his actions, and it has warmed my heart. I am thankful for his little, meaningful kindnesses.

The third is named Amy. She is a lady in her twenties or thirties, with chocolate brown hair cropped about her quiet face. Fashioning her own apron, she occupies a busy counter. The java cafe in the lobby of UT hospital. Clearly a veteran barista, she handles the masses with ease. And today was my third day visiting her. I'm not one for coffee, but instead adore a rather particular chai drink. By today, she knew it by heart. The counter was busy and the people were swarming. I was in the back of the line, just hoping to buy my chai treat and avoid any germs. By the time I rolled up to the counter to order, I hadn't gotten a word out before I saw her hand reach across the counter, warm beverage in hand. "Already made it," she said with a reserved smile. And that simple act filled my heart with instant, infinite warmth.

Love is all around us. 

And everyone shows it in the little ways they can.

Beautiful ones, what are you thankful for? Please share. We all would love to read. 

2 comments:

  1. I am thankful for the blustery, leafy walk I had to my building coming home from work tonight.

    Thankful that I had the presence of mind to stop on a corner and take a few minutes to actually enjoy it.

    Thankful for the red-haired girl who came through my line today and treated me like a new friend instead of some faceless Keebler elf placed their solely to make her $10 soy latte.

    Thankful that I don't let the rest of them bother me, not really.

    Thankful that I'm vain enough to stop drinking because I don't want it to ruin my looks.

    For friends and family who still love me, even when I'm a shit who NEVER returns phone calls.

    For knowing that there are still things to accomplish.

    For you.

    Three weeks without meat and counting...

    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Josh, yes you are my beautiful brother. But even if you weren't, I would still cherish this "thankful list" you shared. It is genuine and heartfelt and full of love. Thank you for sharing it, and for taking part in this community of love. I absolutely love you.

    And the beautiful things you list perfectly capture the feeling I want for us all. The idea that beauty is everywhere. Love and grace are in all the little things, and we should stop to see it. And then take time to show our gratitude. Appreciation for all that is beautiful makes it easier to get through the darkest night.

    So let's build up our beautiful reserves, and treasure each moment. <3

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share comments, questions, insight, knowledge, and love. All is welcome here.