Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thankful Thursday

(Source: davidrisley, edited by RoseAlma)

This Thursday I am grateful for my oldest brother, Jason. He recently moved back up to Tennessee after living down in Florida. And for now, he is staying with us at my parents' house. Usually he keeps to himself. He's quiet and incredibly creative, always working on some new project.

The past few days, I've unexpectedly found myself in the middle of another exacerbation - a bout of sickness related to my CF. I'm on IV antibiotics through my port-a-cath. And now ordinary, everyday things have become harder than ever.

This afternoon, I was sitting and doing one of my seemingly regular breathing treatments with a vibrating therapy vest for my chest. I've done this ever since I was a child, and it is routine for me. But the past few days, ever since my lung function has dropped, doing the vest makes me feel like I am suffocating. I quickly become overheated and end up gasping for air. 

Well, this particular time with vest, Jason was the only one in the room. The moment he saw my pale, gasping face, he knew what to do. He turned on our portable standup fan and pointed it in my direction (but not at my face, because he knew that would make it hard for me to breathe too). I started crying a bit, as it was one of my toughest moments yet. Jason came over and held my hand tightly as I closed my eyes and tried to find an equilibrium. His energy and love made an immediate difference. For the rest of the treatment, instead of thinking about how scared I was or how hard it was to breathe, I thought about how much I love my brother. And what a loving heart he carries around so quietly in his chest.

I am thankful for my oldest brother Jason. My quiet, loving protector.

Beautiful ones, what are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share comments, questions, insight, knowledge, and love. All is welcome here.