Thursday, December 8, 2011

Thankful Thursday

(Source: aBeautifulRippleEffect, edited by RoseAlma)
Today I am thankful for the smiles of Target strangers.

I had my first outing in a few days. Went to our local Target with my parents. It must have been a while since I've been around so many people. Because for the first time in over a year, I was aware of lots of stares from people. I'm fairly certain (though it is only an educated guess) that what draws the attention of so many is the fact that a twenty-something girl is walking around on oxygen. Usually, if people of the general public see anyone on oxygen, it is the elderly. So seeing someone young with it makes them wonder. That is what I've come to surmise anyway. 

I adjusted to these routine stares long ago, when I first started wearing oxygen regularly (about a year ago). I was to the point that I didn't notice anymore; it had become white noise. But today it felt almost like it did when I wore the cannulas in a store for the first time ever: so many pairs of eyes, numerous double-takes, people looking with their mouths hanging open. Nothing ill-intentioned or outright rude. Just obviously confused and very much curious. With all these cold, blank stares, it makes quite a difference when a kind stranger breaks that glass case around me with a warm smile. I received a few of those smiles today, and each one touched my heart. Made me human again. And for that, I am so very thankful.

Beautiful people, what warms your heart? What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share comments, questions, insight, knowledge, and love. All is welcome here.