Monday, September 10, 2012

the meditation journey

(Source: RumiQuotes; edited by RoseAlma)
Fifty-seven days ago, I began a new journey in my life: the path of meditation. It is something I have been promising myself I would commit to since my time in college (about four years ago). The past year I have been reading up on the practice with the help of wonderful books like Steve Hagen's Meditation: Now or Never, which I greatly enjoyed. But I still struggled with beginning. Then in July, fate brought me where I needed to be. While online one day, I stumbled upon a worldwide event that was about to begin: Deepak Chopra's free "21-Day Meditation Challenge: Free to Love." I immediately joined, eager to break past the personal barriers that kept me from beginning on my own. And though it was a challenge to stay committed to the daily regimen in the first week, by the second I was thirsty for more. Now every time I sit in silence, I understand a little bit more about myself, and about the world. And each day is a chance to renew the love inside me.

Some days I am so moved by what I experience in meditation that I journal about it briefly for a minute after my session. I would like to share these writings with you. Here is the first:
♥ Aug. 8, 2012 --- I became a river - the water within. Thoughts, things passed over me, through me. But all the while I am there, I am flowing, I am clear. My skin's nearly vibrating, a peaceful electricity.
Have you ever meditated, or thought about meditating? What was it like for you?
If you haven't tried it, what do you think may be holding you back?

2 comments:

  1. Rosie, I'm not too good at writing, but here goes. For me, meditation is a double-edged sword. You see, I have heard it said that prayer is asking God questions, while meditation is listening for His answers. Quite often, I don't really care for the answer I receive. But then, I'm human, I want to be in control. In reality, I must turn over that control to God's care. He will guide me, if only I will allow Him. Still, he has given me the choice - do His will, or take back my will. Sometimes the two are not the same. Yet if I take that 15 minutes to meditate, I will see how His way is infinitely better for me.
    Mind you, this is only the ramblings of an old man, one still learning about life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your insightful words, Francie. I think meditation can mean and be a great many things for people. The experience and practice of it is different for everyone, and it is a very personal journey for each being who begins the path. I think the most important thing is to experience it with an open mind, and a loving heart. Thank you again for sharing. It is always encouraged and enjoyed. Peace and love to you.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share comments, questions, insight, knowledge, and love. All is welcome here.